Meets: 3rd Monday of each month at 11am
Sandy Noel, retired P.E. teacher, Chair of the Governor’s Council on Health & Physical Fitness
Mark Peysakhovich, Senior Director of Government Relations, American Heart Association Midwest
2015 Focus: Implementing the new P.E. learning standards & policies in schools across the state, working to ensure the state maintains its daily P.E. requirement in schools, & promoting implementation of the new competitive foods standards in schools.
2014 Focus: In addition to the 2015 areas of focus, the workgroup also worked to ensure the State Board of Education had strong standards around the number of days schools can use unhealthy foods in fundraisers.
New! Fitness Assessments in Illinois – Tools, Resources, and Information You Need (registration required) – A webinar to help P.E. teachers administer the required fitness assessments accurately and with fidelity to the Fitnessgram protocols, and to use assessment data to improve P.E. programming. It also helps administrators support fitness testing and communicate with their communities about the value of fitness assessments. Recorded on Tuesday, January 31, 2017.
Pump Up P.E.: Ways to Effectively Engage Parents (brief registration required) – On ways physical educators can better engage parents as champions of physical education and school health. Recorded on 1/25/16.
New Laws & Standards to Pump Up P.E. in Illinois (brief registration required) – On the “Enhanced Physical Education” intervention, new P.E. developments/requirements for schools in IL and implementation guidance. Recorded 5/9/16. This webinar featured an opening call to action from Jean Sophie, Superintendent of Schools, Lake Bluff School District 65 and presentations by Marcey Siegel, Pump Up P.E. Teacher Trainer and Adjunct Instructor/University Supervisor, Benedictine University.
Enhanced Physical Education
- Illinois Enhance P.E. Task Force website
- Illinois Enhance P.E. Task Force Final Report Executive Summary
- Illinois Enhance P.E. Task Force Resource Guide
- Illinois Enhance P.E. Task Force Factsheet
- Illinois Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation & Dance website
- SHAPE America website
- Presidential Youth Fitness Program website
- HB 5397 (now Public Act 98- 0859) Factsheet on Physical Fitness Assessment in Schools
- SB 3274 (now Public Act 98-0860) Factsheet on Highly Qualified Teacher Status in Illinois
USDA Smart Snacks in Schools Resources
- Controlling Junk Food and the Bottom Line: Case Studies of Schools Successfully Implementing Strong Nutrition Standards for Competitive Foods and Beverages
- USDA’s Smart Snacks in Schools Factsheet
- Action for Healthy Kids’ Healthy School Fundraiser Factsheet
- Healthy Fundraiser Ideas from the Connecticut Department of Education